CaliforniaBelle

California born mom livin life as a Southern Belle

Sunday, September 25, 2005

All Is Well

All is well here in Houston. We made it through the storm and I didn't kill my in-laws. We did not leave the city as many did - being where we are we decided we were safe. I spent Thursday and Friday cleaning the house (you know I wanted it clean in case it got dirty from the storm). My husband invited my his family to come and stay with us (I think he didn't want to be alone with me for that long - ha) - so I had to prepare for them as well. I had to clean my children's rooms. They were not with us - my daughter was celabrating her birthday in San Marcos (hurricane what hurricane - give me another corona) and my son decided to stay on his side of town with his girlfriend. Needless to say their rooms were a mess (you see once they became adults their rooms were their responsibility - bad mistake on my part), cleaning them took longer than anything else I have ever cleaned. I must have been a horrible child when it came to helping around the house because my kids have given it back to me three-fold. Anyway off subject there sorry. My in-laws came, my mother and father in law, my sister in-law, and my other sister in-law and her family of three teenagers, two large dogs and one husband. My mother and father in-law also brought their dog. So here we all are in my three bedroom home, five dogs, 4 teenagers (one of my sister in-laws is only 19) and 6 adults all stuck together. My mother in law was nervous and so she was cooking up a storm, you know in case the power went out - so that there would be plenty to eat - of course if the power went out we would have to eat it all pretty quick cause the fridge was not going to work. We all made camp all over the house Friday night - 1 a.m. the power went out. 10:00 a.m. the next morning my father in-law decides that the storm was not that bad and he was going home - so everyone packed up and left because my sister in-laws did not want them driving home by themselves. He gets antsy that way.

So now it is just me and hubby and our 2 dogs and no electricity. We open windows - play our little hand held video games, listen to radio, read books. Eat everything in site because we don't know how long we are going to be without power. Around 3 p.m. he gets a call from work - they want him in tomorrow. It is getting hotter in the house - my little dogs (who are very pampered) are starting to wilt as am I (I hate to sweat unless for something good - you know) - so we go for a small ride in the truck. Around 10:00 p.m. we realize the lights are not coming on anytime soon. Hubby going crazy cause he can't watch sports and me cause I can't see for shit in candle light and laterns. We finally decide to go to bed - naked (we looked like to beached whales floating on my bed) with our windows open (I hope that our neighbors across the bayou were not peeping) - around midnight the street lights came on and about 3:00 a.m. our lights came on - I was so happy - I sat up and read and watched tv until 5 a.m.

I can only imagine how people who were in Katrina, or in Rita for that matter, must have felt - I was only without power for a few hours - times that by 100 and you just feel lucky. I hope everyone who was here and possibly affected by our little Rita is all right - STB and Kimmy - I hope y'all are all right. I have to go back to work tomorrow - my downtown law firm well they just have to get back to billing clients - though I will probably be only one of a few that do make it back as a lot of my co-workers did evacuate.

It has been a ride - I am glad to get back to normal. Thanks to everyone who worried about me - it means a lot to know that people who just read my life care - I care about them as well. I will write again soon. Peace and love to y'all.

2 Comments:

At 5:29 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Good to hear you and the family made out okay from Rita.

 
At 7:54 AM , Blogger sttropezbutler said...

Dixie! Glad it was you and not me with all those in-laws and dogs and kids! What a good soul you are!

Yes, those of us who remained here in H-town were very lucky. Very lucky.

Have a terrific week..

STB

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home