CaliforniaBelle

California born mom livin life as a Southern Belle

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Television fanatic

For the past few months I have worked by someone who is an American Idol fan. Not just any kind of fan, an all out do whatever it takes, stalking kind of fan. When the show got down to the final 10 or 12 (I don't watch the show, except for once because I had to see what she was talking about), this is how a week at my job would go. Monday - she would be getting excited cause Tuesday the show was going to come on. She would search online to find out the theme for the night and to see who was singing what, then she would call and talk to everyone about who was going to be singing what and how she felt they were going to sound and who she felt was going to do well. Now you are probably asking yourself how do I know all of this, well this lady has a very loud voice and she uses several different types of voices but her main voice on quiet is about three times louder than normal and she sounds just like the lady on the Nanny (Fran I can't think of her last name), just awful and nasally (if that is a word). That is her main voice, she also has a baby voice and a whisper which you can hear down the hall. I sit probably 25-35 feet away from her and can hear her clear as a bell. Back to the week, on Tuesday, oh my God she is so happy because her show is on tonight. That is all she will talk about all day today. What she is making for dinner or where she is getting it; how she has to get home and get ready for the show. Mind you none of us (well 3 others) watch this show. Wednesday, we hear all about the show all day long, who sung the best, who sounded the worst, whose pitch was off, you name we hear about it.. and she is not talking to us she is on the phone talking to others. We also hear how many times she voted for singers, and who she thinks will be knocked off that night. Thursday, we hear all day long about who got knocked off, whether or not they should have been knocked off and who really should have been in the final three and oh my God if one of her picks is in the final three it is going to be a long day!!! Friday is the only real quiet day. Simply because everything has happened and it is too soon to know who is going to be singing what next week. We live for Fridays at my job for more than it just being the end of the work week....

Okay the show has ended, you think the drama would be over right, wrong!!! Her favorite won so now we get daily updates on what he is doing what she has read about him and of course there is the American Idol tour this summer!!! Will it ever end? Now don't get me wrong, I love my tv shows as well. I have my favorites (Lost, CSI (all of them), and a couple of reality shows (amazing race, project runway, big brother, road rules/real world), okay a lot of reality shows, but if you were to ask anyone at my job they would not know, not because I wouldn't tell them but because my whole life does not revolve around them.. There is nothing wrong with having a favorite show and with being a big fan but don't try and convert me. Don't try and tell me what I am missing out on.. which is what she does. She even offered bring in her tapes of the shows (yes she records them and has all five or six seasons) and watch them with us and tell us all about it. Crazy!!! The one time I watched was to see who she was talking about... and then I voted one time for the other person. How many times does she say she votes, well when they were down to 3 people, she voted 40 times for her favorite, 20 times for her second favorite and 10 times for her third favorite. Now that's a lot of voting on your text messaging at 10 cents a message not to mention the number of times she calls at 99 cents a call. Yup she is a true fan and we all know it!!! Now if you excuse me I have to go watch Road Rules/Real World Fresh Meat - Have a great day!!! Blog with you soon!!! PEACE!!

2 Comments:

At 6:30 AM , Blogger sttropezbutler said...

You Rock on DD!

As for Idol and the idlesness of rehashing TV shows...I hear this too...all the time...only it seems to be something called America's Next Top Model...Do we need another one?

Have a great one.

STB

 
At 4:26 AM , Blogger StringMan said...

Hey, Dixie! I suppose it's probably a preview of what Hell will be like - unrelenting Idol fans all around you. And to think: you have next season to look forward to :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home