CaliforniaBelle

California born mom livin life as a Southern Belle

Saturday, June 03, 2006

The Old Days

Today I am going to have two posts so be sure to read the one after this.

Last night on television - VH1 Classic to be exact, I watched a classic concert by Journey. November 1981 was the date in Houston, Texas and I was there. It was the first concert MTV ever showed and yes I was there. Five months pregnant and so excited to see Steve Perry. As I watched the concert last night some 25 years later I realized that what I saw back then was true music. They had no gimics, just five guys playing and singing their hearts out. No fancy dancers, no back up singers for when Steve's voice was lacking, which by the way, it was not, just five guys playing and singing. I miss seeing bands that way. There are still a few out there but in the days of true bands they were all out there. The old bands still tour today, of course I won't go see Journey now because they replaced Steve Perry and to me Journey is not Journey with him. That's why today I love to go watch garage bands, bands that play just to play and sing for the love of the music and the sound. I have never seen my blogger friend Stringman play, but I would imagine that his band is one of these bands. Another reason I enjoyed seeing this band is as I said I was preggers with my boy and you know to this day, Journey still calms him. It was for me a time right before my life was totally going to change - I would have kids and truly have to become a grown up. Though even today when I have just recently had a birthday (I turned 20 and 24 thank you), I still like that music and always will. I used to think when I was younger that when you got older you had to stop listening to rock and start listening to other stuff but I can tell you that I am going to 80 and still jamming to Journey, my Journey with Steve Perry and I am still going to be enjoying the music of bands like Journey that play for the music and love of simply making the music. Bands like Journey, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Van Halen (Sammy not Dave sorry), and so on - I love these bands - I guess I am stuck in the 80's but it's all right!! Rock On!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home