CaliforniaBelle

California born mom livin life as a Southern Belle

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Sorry guys - been a while since I blogged - been super busy. Computer finally out of moody son's room and into a separate room so I will try and check in more often. I hope everyone's new year is going well. I have been checking in with some of you, STB in particular just keeps me motivated and keeps me thinking. He is one insightful person.

On Friday - I celebrated 25 years working at the same law firm. I started when I was 18 (you do the math) - how did they celebrate - with nada, nothing, zip, zero. Sure on the quarter they will put out an announcement on the intranet and my name will be there with everyone else who had a major five year anniversary, oh and we will get a check (amount depends on the number of years). Don't get me wrong, the check is nice (who couldn't use the extra money), but before they started doing things this way, you used to get flowers and the check on your 25th anniversary date. A recognition if you will, which is what I want. I want the flowers and for the firm to say hey we acknowledge that you have given us 25 years of loyal hard working service. I don't want a mention on the firm's intranet, that most don't read anyway. Sure I want the money but it would be nice to be reconized on the day you officially started and not on a quarterly basis not to mention no flowers or hey great job on that day anymore. Kinda made me sad.

Something else happened on Friday as well. For the fourth time my second assignment (I work for two, one major player and one minor player) decided that the fast track to partnership was taking too long and decided to go out on his own. Now I have no problem with that but why is it always the ones that I work for? I have to pack them up, help them move their cases to new players, get their time in, move them out. It is a big pain and a big joke in the firm. Are you looking to leave, go work for me because I know how to help you out. The day he announced he was leaving, I started getting calls, lost another one, what are you doing to these players, and well you get it. Now my new second assignment is worried about working with me, fear that I will make them want to leave. I just do my job. I do it well and I take care of my players. Maybe I am too good to them and they think they can make it out there without the prestige of working at a big firm. Who knows. They all sing my praises - two even asked me to go with them (unfortunately neither could offer what I have here which is why I stay). So I am too good at my job or not good enough at my job. The day the last one left I celebrated 25 years and tomorrow a new one will come to me. I hope they stay longer than the others have.

Well that's it for me for now. Got to go get ready and eat a late lunch with my in-laws (yeah my favorite sister in law is included). I love them all but I really just wanted to stay at home today and do nothing. Seeing fave sis in law is not my idea of how to spend a nice Sunday. We will see if I survive. Last three times one of these Sunday things have been set up (by her) we always end up picking up the check, well not today mister. I told my husband that we will pay for ourselves and no one else. I have had it, she sets these up, she is the one with all the money and takes all the credit, she can pick up the check. Let's see what happens. I told my daughter I am going to get sick and we are going to leave before the bill comes just giving enough to cover ourselves and our portion of tip to Ms. Look At Me and see how that goes over.

Love, smoochies and peace to y'all. Have a great week and I will blog with you soon. Thanks for letting me rant about my life here.

2 Comments:

At 11:48 AM , Blogger junebee said...

Don't put it past lawyers to save $$ by cutting out the flowers. And at the rates they charge. Sheesh.

Glad you liked the recipe. Nanny G., the Branch and I just had Eggs in Nests today. (We had some bacon I had to use up.)

 
At 8:33 PM , Blogger Josh said...

I’m with you, half of a century spent at any one grind should get some flowers at the least. My brother’s job gave him a globe for 15 years of work, he would have preferred a check, but he got a cake too.

How did it go with the lunch? I know those types, good for you. Keep that foot down.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home