CaliforniaBelle

California born mom livin life as a Southern Belle

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Happy New Year

I hope everyone had a great new year and that 2006 brings you everything you hope for - no real resolutions for me as when you set out to do it as a new year resolution most of the time you set yourself up for failure. We had a wonderful holiday - I hope to put up a couple of pictures soon.

Now I do need to have a little gripe session so WARNING - WARNING BF (bitch fit) about to happen: Doesn't it just test your last nerve to know full well that a gift given to you was at best a poor excuse for the holiday spirit in which it should have been given. I truly love to give gifts - and while I don't expect them in return but should you decide reciprocate please put a little meaning into it and if not at least take the price tag off. This person always gives lavish gifts to all in the family, sometimes purposely leaving price on so we will all know what she paid except for gifts she gives me and my daughter. To my daughter her gifts always appear to be the gift with purchase gift items you get but only the stuff you wouldn't want. No thought. This year she gave my daughter a spiral notebook (yes, a spiral notebook - price tag on it 1.59) . She gave me a cosmetic bag (with tag 4.99 with redline through it meaning it was half off). Now I know you should not look a gift horse in the mouth but after years of this - this horse just needs to gallop her bootie out of here!! It wouldn't be so bad and I would not think so badly of her, except all her other gifts are so obviously well thought out, well I guess mine is too as she must be trying to make some sort of point. Now I cannot bring myself to be as mean as her - so of course my gifts are always nice, or at least I think they are, but hey maybe they suck and that is why she is this way. But you tell me - I got her a hand cream gift set (she is always putting on lotion so I got some really good stuff in a portable and large size so she would have some at her home and could carry one with her) and I gave her and her hubby a certificate to a restaurant they always talk about going to that they love. She gave me a stained cosmetic bag. There I am done. I feel so much better having said all that - it has been bothering me for days now - now I can enjoy my new year and no longer carry the bad gift giver on my back. Whew..... Now for my life in 2006...

This year is already looking to be busy - work is crazy. Home life well, I miss being an empty nest mom. When I was an empty nest mom it meant my children were all grown up and living their lives. It meant was home was neat and clean all the time (only two people living there who are tidy folks), it meant nice meals for two - being in bed all day when we didn't feel like doing anything. Well both are back home not working and driving me nuts. Nothing like coming home after a long day at office to find two 20-somethings sitting in the house which was clean when I left but now looks like a party took place asking me what's for dinner. I have given them until the end of the month to find jobs, get back to school and generally get right before this Mom stomps some ass. Husband is still working out of town so I have no back up when it comes to them cause let's face it - yelling through the phone at them does no good - in one ear and out the other.

The best gift I got in 2005 which I know will carry on in 2006 is finding my way a little bit in this blog and hearing from so many great people. Who needs therapy when I have got y'all!!! Thanks for all the great wisdom!!! Gotta get back to work now!!! Peace!!!

5 Comments:

At 11:24 AM , Blogger sttropezbutler said...

Damn Dixie...you said it!

The gift thing is so weird.

Hope the nest empties soon!

Onward!

STB

 
At 2:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My SIL used to be like that, then one year she regifted a gift I had given her the year before. Of course being the bitch that I am I addressed the issue right there and then. Her face went BRIGHT RED. AND her regifting ended.
My brother was so pissed off with her because he knew that I always put a lot of time and thought into any gift I gave.

 
At 9:48 PM , Blogger Josh said...

I have a set of relatives that hate me and always give me the crappiest gifts even though I shell out the dough for theirs. I keep saying I’m going to ebay them as crappy relative gifts in hopes someone will take pity and buy them. Just make sure you don’t put in lots of effort for her gifts then you won’t be as mad, even if you do spend more.

 
At 11:09 AM , Blogger Joni Mueller said...

Man, I know what you mean about gifts. And these kind of problem "givers" are people that you would think know better.

It's enough to make you want to be a Jehovah's Witness -- at least until the holiday's over!

I can forgive them their bad manners, I cannot forgive them their bad taste!

Happy New Year, and here's another gift for you, use whenever you want:

One 24-hour "Bitch Pass" - redeem anytime!

J

 
At 5:31 AM , Blogger sttropezbutler said...

Hey DD....

Have a great weekend!

STB

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home