CaliforniaBelle

California born mom livin life as a Southern Belle

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The 70's

Has anyone seen the show on MTV called "The 70's House"? Well they took a bunch of kids and put them in a house like the Brady's house and everything they do has to be 70's - no computers, ipods, blackberries, cell phones, etc. Everything they eat, wear, say, watch and do has to be 70's. It is so funny. They eliminate one person every week via a competition. The two people acting the least 70's or losing a competition is who goes in the elimination round. The best thing is they have an intercom that comes on at anytime (day or night) and it plays the hustle - when that happens they have to stop whatever they are doing and do the hustle. I would so kick ass in this house. Of course I am too old for it - but I loved the 70's (not so much the clothes) - but I knew my Tiger Beat people, I had Donny, David, Shaun and Leif up on my walls. Puppy Love, I think I love you, oh I could go on and on about them. I loved Donny Osmond so much (still do) - I even owned purple socks and would dance around singing his songs to his poster. These kids would not stand a chance with me in the house. I guess that's why they picked kids that have never even heard of Saturday Night Fever or Midnight Special. Does anyone else remember wanting to join up with the Partridge Family and when you got mad at your parents to be a Brady? What about those Saturday morning cartoons - H.R. Puff n Stuff, Land of the Lost, Josie & the Pussycats, Scooby Doo. What else I remember - playing outside (well after dark) and not worrying or caring. I remember getting to wear make up for the first time - I knew how to work my green and blue eyeshadow (never wore them together) and my lip smackers. I remember putting on shows with my friends in my basement and as I got older and in high school thinking we were the coolest ever. I remember being in drill team and dancing at football games, my first car (a gremlin - can you imagine), my first love (Ronnie), going to the skating rink and hanging out was the thing to do. I went to my first concert in the 70's - Heart - As the decade got on I fell in love with Steve Perry and became a Journey freak. I never missed a concert, was a member of their fan club, still keep up with Steve Perry now (what can I say Steve and Donny - Love 'em). I met my husband in 1978 and I am still with him today. So the 70's were good to me. Anybody out there want to tell me what they remember - I would love to hear from ya!!

2 Comments:

At 8:04 AM , Blogger sttropezbutler said...

Good Post! For me...I was 20 in 1970...and was post hip I'm sure! LOL...Disco Fever indeed. I was living in L.A. and was totally caught up in it all. I loved my platform shoes most of all and am still surprised I didn't break an ankle! I wasn't much of a TV watcher....so the Brady Bunch et al...passed me by! I did have a brief affair with Mr. Brady however...how's that for TMI!

STB

 
At 9:04 AM , Blogger dixiedarling said...

STB - You just totally rock. I lived in San Diego in the early part of the 70's, however I was not quite as old as you. California was the best in those days. Of course, I also lived in Michigan, Nebraska, and Texas all during the 70's as well so of course California is going to be my favorite. Thanks for stopping by!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home